That being said, the information that one might get on one's own in the library is much dependent on how intuitive the technologies are that enable resource finding and consumption. This is where website usability comes in. Do patrons know enough or can learn enough on the fly to successfully make the best possible use of library resources? Let's see what the two papers in question say.
First off, I like that the testers in the Tolliver article have multiple steps to their testing that each produce different concrete results that can be sorted and analyzed. The specificity of issues found with the website was intriguing as well. The trouble some patrons had because “borrowing materials” didn’t suggest checking out books, and looking for “my account” when the wording on the page was in fact “your account”. It may sound trite, but in my own personal experience it is precisely these types of little things that add up to usability. I was, however, surprised that they used student assistants and employees of the library, rather than actual student patrons that had no other connection to the library. Surely they should have included that, their largest patron base. The article also did not emphasize much where to go from there, once they had their website’s usability analyzed. There was scant info on how to go about acting upon the information found, though I recognize that perhaps that would be a totally different study and article in and of itself.
The Swanson et al. article was particularly apt, especially
considering that I had just used a relatively new google-esque search box on
the front page of Catholic University’s library website to find the article
itself. Two things immediately came to
my mind upon finishing the article.
First, that obviously serious academic research is a discipline that
necessitates at the very least some training to be able to make use of the many
information finding resources that are available on a library webpage. Second, that having the option of a
well-placed federated search box on the homepage, as well as the links to the various
databases, OPAC, and finding aids would probably be the best decision. Why must it be one or the other? Serious researchers who plan to dive straight
into the databases don’t like having to delve through multiple pages of the library
website in order to get started, and the casual patron can start with the
search box. However, there is the risk
with that option that some that are less educated in the options available to
them might believe that their search was futile and not realize there is
another way. I would make sure to have
alerts and options clearly present to enable the patron to switch research
modes at any time.
I do agree with their ultimate conclusion that the academic
library website and search is not, and should not be Google. The nature of academic research lends itself
to being so much more than that. But
that is not to say that there could be an option there to use a federated
search, just in case they are attempting to find something specific, just as I
was when I needed to look up two articles for class. Quite literally, in my case, the success I had
in being able to find my ends quickly justified the less scholarly means I took
to get there.
No comments:
Post a Comment